Although the great weight loss of Frank Fritz was a consequence of Crohn’s disease, his appearance in the 8th season of the American Pickers Show did not leave anyone indifferent. Having the constitution of a large man, he lost 41 pounds, which won general applause. These changes occurred in 2013.
Let’s discuss how to lose weight if you have intestinal problems, like Frank Fritz. We would like to warn you to consult a doctor in any case.
Intestinal diseases most often lead to malabsorption of nutrients. In the body, there is not only a deficiency of proteins or fats but also other substances important for normal functioning – vitamins, calcium, potassium, iron. How to organize nutrition so that the body gets everything you need from food?
The main principle of the diet for intestinal diseases is the complex diet with sufficient calorie content. Violation of the assimilation of food leads to the fact that a person loses weight not only due to fat reserves but also due to muscle mass. Therefore, the amount of high-grade protein on the menu should be increased to 130-140 g and higher. It is also necessary to organize food intake from five to six meals a day that can reduce many problems on the digestive tract and improve the absorption of nutrients.
While the cause of the disease is not eliminated, the body cannot receive a sufficient amount of vitamins and nutrients. Therefore, after consulting a doctor, you should start taking the vitamin complexes recommended by him. And in some cases, doctors prescribe even injections of vitamins.
Mineral substances from dairy products
Dairy products will help fill the deficiency of minerals. Protein and fat in them are absorbed with a minimal load on the digestive organs, and phosphorus and calcium are enough to maintain a normal balance of these substances in the body. Fresh milk and dairy products with intestinal diseases are sometimes very poorly tolerated, but fresh cottage cheese and low-fat unsalted cheese are digested normally. Therefore, with intestinal diseases, nutritionists recommend abandoning even the most healthy and natural kefir or yogurt and choose freshly prepared and well-squeezed cottage cheese and various types of cheese.
Select the remaining products depending on the characteristics of the disease. Indeed, for example, with diarrhea and constipation, completely different diets are required.
To know what kind of food should be preferred, we prepared for you a list of products with a description of their ability to influence the intestines.
Products that affect increased intestinal motility:
• All types of salty foods, ranging from canned vegetables to salted fish, meat and more;
• Products containing a large amount of sugar – honey, sugar, jam, etc .;
• All types of pickles, acid drinks – products with high acidity;
• Fiber-rich foods – wholemeal products, beans, dried fruits, millet, whole-grain cereals;
• Products containing fat: vegetable oils, egg yolks, cream, sour cream.
Products that slow intestinal motility:
• Drinks and food in warm and hot forms;
• Juices from tart fruits and berries coolly brewed tea;
• Porridge: rice, millet.
General intestinal health
1. A healthy sleep lasting 7-8 hours not only regulates the level of intestinal hormones that affect the feeling of hunger and satiety but also strengthens the immune system.
2. The main morning rule is to “run” the intestines. To do this, you need to drink a glass of warm water with lemon at least 20 minutes before breakfast, and only after that, you can eat breakfast.
3. Give preference to fresh plant foods – vegetables, fruits, nuts, greens. Try to eat more foods that have not been thermally processed.
4. Remember, you need to chew food thoroughly without swallowing slices. Choose a meal that is already in a soft consistency (yogurt, kefir, fruit or vegetable puree, cream soup).
5. Do not eat if you are very tired and feel irritated. Stress hormones adversely affect the process of digesting food, which is fraught with unpleasant consequences.
6. The more fiber in your diet is, the more diverse your ecosystem will be. Set a goal to eat at least 25-40 grams of fiber per day.
7. Make it a rule to consume foods with probiotics – living bacteria (yogurts, kefir) at least once a day.
8. Movement is life, and this also applies to the intestines. Any physical activity, especially if the abdominal and back muscles are involved, enhances intestinal motility and promotes its regular emptying.